Thursday, November 14, 2013

Catching Up #2: Cooking with a 3 Year Old

     About a month ago we had our first cooking lesson.  We had gone over our scripture of the week and reviewed our letters and we were done. I was looking around for an activity to do.  I noticed we happened to have 4 overly ripe bananas and the day was delightfully gloomy and cold.  So of course, I asked my daughter if she wanted to bake banana bread with me. She was very excited and gave a gitty laugh as I sat her on the counter.  I gave her the fun job of mashing up the bananas as I gathered up the other ingredients.  This is the recipe we used.  
A little trick to great recipes: Google "Best recipe for..." when doing your online search. So far, I have had great results. ;)

I didn't have buttermilk, so I used the substitute for buttermilk (1 cup of regular milk mixed with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice).  It still turned out very tasty!

M wanted to touch everything! So I had to keep reminding her what she could and couldn't touch. It was a little exhausting for me but she was SO happy to be so involved in the process.


     I made sure to dab her nose and cheeks with flour and told her a proper baker always gets a little messy. She thought it was hilarious. I'll never forget the smile on my husband's face when he came home and she touched his nose with flour and she said, "Daddy, you're a baker!" 

We had so much fun cooking together, I want to try to do one cooking project each week with her . We shall see if I remember to do that. Haha.



No comments:

Post a Comment