Monday, November 3, 2014

Ancient Egypt Unit Study for Preschool/Kindergarten


     I figured going from Halloween to Ancient Egypt would be an appropriate transition since we often see mummies around Halloween. ;)  This week we are discussing Ancient Egypt.  Marley knows very little about Ancient Egypt, so I decided to start her off by watching the movie Prince of Egypt (on Netflix).  She really enjoyed the movie and it got her in the mindset to learn about that time period.

Here is my outline for our Egyptian lesson plan:                            

PICTURE BOOKS:
- The Egyptian Cinderella
- Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who - Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs 

EDUCATIONAL BOOKS:
- Egyptian Tombs: Torchlight (My First Discoveries: Torchlight)
- Mummies Made in Egypt (Reading Rainbow Books)
Egyptian Activity Book (Dover Little Activity Books)
Mummies, Pyramids, and Pharaohs: A Book About Ancient Egypt

WORKSHEETS:
- Egyptian Worksheets Collection
  This site has SO many great worksheets for Ancient Egypt! My daughter loved the coloring pages provided. I had fun coloring with her too. ;)

ART/CRAFT PROJECTS:
- Make A "Cartouche" (to easily translate any name into hieroglyphics click here)  We used paper bags to cut out the shape.  I drew her name using pencil and then instructed Marley to trace the pictures with black marker.  We taped up her Cartouche on her door and declared her the Egyptian Princess of the house.  She really liked that!
- Ancient Egyptian Headband
- Make an Egyptian Collar
- Make a Mummy


GAMES/ACTIVITIES:
- Build a pyramid from legos or blocks
- Making pyramids in a sandbox or sensory bin





1 comment:

  1. I'm SO in love with this! I could do Egypt unit studies all year, I swear. I have a passion for Egypt and that's sort of translated to my daughter and nephew in ways. My nephew tells people all the time that he wants to be an archaeologist because of the activities and "excavations" we do together. :)

    ReplyDelete