Tuesday, February 24, 2015

"I Hate Grating Cheese" - Household Tasks We Hate...

It ain't gonna grate it itself. Haha.
     A big part of our homeschooling is making sure we are raising our kids to help out around the house.  There is much less chaos when everyone is aware of what is expected of them and the daily tasks get done.  I think it is important to let our family know that many of these tasks are boring, tedious, annoying, etc.  When we agree with our kids that the tasks are not fun, it is easier to move on from complaints and whining.
     "You are so right Marley!  Cleaning up your room is not fun at all.  Let's do it together really quick, so we can get it over with."
     This approach has worked pretty well so far with my little ones.  I acknowledge that what I ask them to do isn't meant to be enjoyable; it just needs to be done.
     I recently started sharing with Marley that there are some household tasks that I really do NOT like and do NOT look forward to, for example: grating cheese.  Ugh! I don't know why I dislike it so much.  I just sigh when it needs to be done.  And truth be told, I avoid lots of recipes that require shredded cheese. ;P  I also dread folding or putting away clean laundry.  
     I tell her while I do the task, "Marley, I really do not like folding laundry.  But it does need to be done.  Otherwise, there would be clothes all over the place and we wouldn't be able to find things.  Isn't it so much nicer when we can find the laundry folded and clean in our drawers?"  I usually get a "Yup" and a smile as a response.
     The kids benefit from the lesson that sometimes we do things we don't want to do, to maintain peace and order.  There are many people in our country that would benefit from learning that lesson. ;)

WHICH HOUSEHOLD TASKS DO YOU DISLIKE SO MUCH THAT YOU PROCRASTINATE OR FIND YOURSELF WHINING ABOUT IT?

No comments:

Post a Comment