Sunday, October 5, 2014

Why Homeschooling Is Awesome: Reason #1 - More Family Time! (MOTIVATIONAL MONDAYS)

Welcome to Motivational Mondays!  I'm kicking it off with a series called "Why Homeschooling Is Awesome."  I think reading supportive and encouraging words is a perfect way to start off your week.  Please feel free to leave a comment with more reasons you love to homeschool. Thanks for stopping by!

     I love my family, as I'm sure most people do.  When I think of all the extra time I will get to spend with my kids while homeschooling, I feel nervous, scared, exhausted, but also very excited! I can't wait to log those hours of interaction and getting to know my children.  I have some guesses as to what they will like to do and the types of personalities they will have, but I know that they will surprise me.  It makes me happy to know that I will get to see, first hand, how they develop and grow into little people.  I also feel it is a great way to maintain the importance of our family unit.
     I know a mother that chose to take her children out of school because she felt she didn't know them as well as she did before.  She said when they got home from school, she would ask them what they did or learned, and they responded with bland and vague responses.  She didn't like that she was losing a bond with her kids.  She said that specifically, she was struggling with communicating with her pre-teen daughter.  They did not have a bad relationship, but it wasn't as loving and close.  This mother told me that only a few months after homeschooling her children, she was talking regularly with her daughter again and that the bonds between the siblings were much stronger.  I was quite inspired by her story.
     Don't get me wrong. I know there will be times that we drive each other crazy.  Hey, it already happens now (and they are only 2 and 4 years old!). Haha.  But I know in my heart that the extra time we will spend together will nurture our individual relationships and will be a great blessing in the end.

     "In family relationships love is really spelled t-i-m-e, time. Taking time for each other is the key for harmony at home." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf

*Disclaimer: I am not implying in any way that homeschool is superior to public school or any other method of education.  Each child is different and parents have differing circumstances.  I believe parents are entitled to make choices for their children without disdainful judgement or hurtful criticism.  The purpose of this series is to motivate and encourage other homeschoolers or parents thinking of homeschooling.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment